Part A :
Before we start, Spiros and Hiroko, thanks for coming in today to talk about your recent study experiences and congratulations to you both in doing so well in your first semester exams!
在我们开始之前,Spiros和Hiroko,谢谢你们今天能来谈谈你最近的学习经验,也恭喜你们在第一学期的考试中取得的好成绩!
I'd like to discuss with you the value of the English for Academic Purposes course you did here last year before starting your university course.
我想跟你们探讨一下你们去年在大学课程开始之前在这里学习英语学术用途课程的价值。
Spiros, if I could start with you, what parts of the programme have now proved to be particularly valuable to you?
Spiros,如果我可以先和你谈的话,这个项目的哪些部分已经被证明对你来说是特别重要的?
I think that having to do a seminar presentation really helped me.
我认为做一个研讨会的陈述演讲真的帮助了我。
For example, a couple of weeks ago in our marketing subject, when it was my turn to give presentation, I felt quite confident.
例如,几个星期前在我们的营销主题中,当轮到我来做一个陈述演讲时,我觉得很自信。
Of course, I was still nervous but because I had done one before, I knew what to expect.
当然,我还是紧张,但因为我做过一次,我知道该期待什么。
Also, I know I was well prepared and I had practised my timing.
而且,我知道我有做了充分的准备,我已经练习了一下计时。
In fact, I think that in relation to some of the other people in my group, I did quite a good job because my overall style was quite professional.
事实上,我认为和我的团队中的其他人也有关。我做得很好,因为我的整体风格是相当专业的。
What about you Hiroko?
你呢,Hiroko?
Mmm, that's interesting.
嗯,这很有趣。
In my group, I was really surprised by the way students did their presentations - they just read the notes aloud.
在我的团队中,同学们做他们的陈述演讲的方式让我觉得很惊讶一他们只是在大声的读他们的笔记!
Can you believe that?
你能相信吗?
They didn't worry about their presentation style or keeping eye contact with their audience - and I remember that these things were really stressed to us in the course here.
他们根本不担心自己的表现方式,或保持与观众的眼神交流,我记得这些东西在课程里是让我们真的很有压力的。
So, how did you approach your presentation Hiroko?
所以你是怎么做你的演讲的,Hiroko?
Well, to speak frankly, I read my notes too.
嗯,坦率地说。我也读了我的笔记!
At the time, it was a relief to do it this way, but actually when I had finished I didn't fell any real sense of satisfaction.
在那时,这样做是一种解脱,但实际上,当我结束时,我并没有感觉到真正的满足感。
I didn't feel positive about the experience at all.
我对这一经历并没有积极的感觉。
That's a pity.
真遗憾。
You know although I was pleased with my presentation, I'm not so pleased with my actual performance right now in the tutorials - during the whole semester I've not said anything in our tutorial discussions.
你知道,虽然我对我的表现感到满意,但我现在在整个教程中的实际表现也让我不太高兴——在整个学期的教程讨论中我什么都没有说。
Not a word.
一句话都没说。
Really, Spiros,why's that?
真的吗?,Spiros?
Do the other students talk too much?
因为其他学生谈的太多了么?
It's partly that, but it's mostly because I have had no confidence to speak out.
有一部分是这个原因,但主要是因为我没有信心说出来。
Their style of speaking is so different-it's not the style we were used to during the course.
他们的讲话方式是如此不同一这不是我们在课程中所使用的风格。
They use so many colloquialisms, they're not very polite and sometimes there seems to be no order in their discussion.
他们会用很多俚语,他们不是很礼貌,有时似乎他们的讨论很没有秩序。
Also they are very familiar with each other, so because they know each other's habits, they can let each other into the discussion.
而且,他们彼此都很熟悉,所以因为他们知道彼此的习惯,他们可以让对方参与进讨论。
You're right, Spiros.
是的。Spiros,
I've experienced that too.
我也经历过这个。
Part B :
For most of this semester, I've said absolutely nothing in tutorials.
本学期大部分时间,我在教程中绝对没有说什么。
But recently I've been trying to speak up more and I just jump in.
但最近,我一直在尝试多说,我就是直接插入到他们的讨论中,
And I've noticed an interesting thing.
我注意到一个有趣的事情:
I've noticed that if they thought my point was interesting and new, then the next time they actually asked for my opinion, and then it was much easier for me to be part of the discussion.
我已经注意到,如果他们认为我的观点是有趣或新的,那么下次他们真的会征求我的意见,然后成为讨论的一部分对我来讲就更容易些了。
That's great, Hiroko.
这太好了,Hiroko!
I hope that happens for me next semester-I'll have to work hard to find some interesting points.
我希望下学期我也会有这样的事情一我要努力学习,找到一些有趣的点。
What help you to find these ideas?
是什么帮助你找到了这些想法?
I think that one thing that helped me with this was the reading.
我认为有一件事帮助到我了,就是阅读。
I've had to do so much reading this semester just to help me to make sense of the lectures.
这个学期我不得不做这么多的阅读,以帮助我把演讲做的符合逻辑。
At first I couldn't understand what the lecturers were talking about, so I had to turn to the books and journals.
起初我听不懂老师讲的是什么,所以我只好求助于书本和杂志。
Every night I read for hours, using the lists of references that were given, and I made pages of notes.
每天晚上我都读好几个小时,用的是老师给的参考资料,我会做几页笔记。
At breakfast, I read and read my notes again.
在吃早餐时,我再读一遍我的笔记。
This habit has helped me to follow the ideas in the lectures, and it's also given me some ideas to use in the tutorials.
这个习惯帮助我在课堂上可以跟得上老师的思路,也给了我一些可以在教程中使用的想法。
But I did so much readings anyway-I don't think there's any time left over for anything extra.
但我做了这么多的阅读一我不认为有任何额外的时间留给其他的东西了。
My reading speed is still quite slow, though I'm much better at dealing with vocabulary than I used to be.
我的阅读速度仍然很慢,但我比以前更擅长处理词汇。
What else do you think we could add to the course program to help with this reading problem?
你还认为我们可以添加些什么到这个课程计划中,以帮助解决这个阅读问题?
There's not really anything because it's my problem.
其实并没有什么,因为这都是我的问题。
I remember we were given long articles to read.
我记得给了我们长文章读。
We didn't like that but now I realise that reading those long articles was good preparation for the things I need to read now.
我们不喜欢那样,但现在我意识到,读那些长文章是我需要读的东西,可以为现在需要读的做好准备。
Also, in class we regularly had speed-reading tasks to do, and we kept a record of our reading speed, so the teachers were encouraging us to work on that.
此外,在课堂上我们经常有速度阅读的任务,我们一直在记录我们的阅读速度,所以老师们鼓励我们在这方面上努力。
That's true, Spiros, but what we read could have been different.
这倒是真的Spiros.但是我们读的内容确实可以变一变。
Sometime in the English class I felt frustrated when I had to read articles about the environment or health or education, because I wanted to concentrate on my own field, but we didn't read anything about engineering.
有时在英语课上,当我不得不读关于环境或健康或教育方面的文章时,我会感到很沮丧,因为我想专注于自己的领域,但我们没有读到任何有关工程的东西。
So, I think I wasted some time learning vocabulary I didn't need.
所以,我觉得我浪费了一些时间学习我不需要的词汇。
But surely this strategies you were taught for dealing with that vocabulary were helpful.
但可以肯定的是,你所有被教的关于处理词汇方面的技巧都是有帮助的。
Yes, but psychologically speaking, I would have felt much better working on reading from my own field.
是的,但是从心理上讲,如果能阅读关于自己领域的文章,我可能感觉会更好。
What do you think Spiros?
你怎么认为,Spiros?
I agree:that would have helped my confidence too, and I would have been more motivated.
我同意,这也有助于我的信心,我也会更积极。
And it was good though that we could work on our own topics when we wrote the research assignments.
这虽然是好的,但是我们可以自己学习我们本来的领域当我们写一些研究作业时。
Okay, let's move on to writing now...
好的,让我们现在继续聊写作的事情吧…